How to apply for our master's programme
The application period for programmes beginning in the autumn semester is between October 18 and January 16. For some programmes it may be possible to submit your application after the deadline.
1. Admissions Requirements
Before you apply, please check to make sure you understand and meet the admissions requirements.
To be eligible for one of our programmes you must have a Bachelor's degree in one of the following Social Sciences majors:
- Political Science
- Social Work
- Social Anthropology
- Gender Studies
- Sociology of Law
- Development Studies
- Human Geography
For specific admissions requirements, read more here:
For information on English language requirements, read more here.
Your application is made through University Admissions. Follow the instructions there and include your supporting documents (see below)
In addition to the general supporting documents specified at Universityadmissions.se, all applicants for the Master of Science in Development Studies, Gender Studies and Global Studies must submit a Statement of Purpose. Instructions can be found below.
Your Statement or Purpose should be written in English. Be sure that your complete name is visible along with the name of the Master's programme and the application number.This document should be uploaded on universityadmissions.se, or could be sent by mail to University Admissission in Östersund, Sweden. When applying to several programmes, please write a separate Statement of Purpose.
Statement of Purpose: Instructions
The Statement of Purpose should not exceed 3,500 characters.
What to include in your Statement of Purpose:
- What are your reasons for applying for this programme? In what way do you expect you can contribute to the programme?
Then, choose to write about 1 (one) of the following questions:
- What are your relevant academic strengths and interests for this programme? Present three of your previous courses and describe how they can be considered appropriate in preparation for this MSc programme.
- What are your career ambitions immediately after graduating from this programme? How do you see your career developing over the next five years? Outline the challenges you think you will face in achieving these career goals and how you will overcome them
- Are there any relevant qualifications you wish to draw to our attention for this programme, e.g. work experience or extracurricular activities?
3. Where to submit your application
Many students are able to upload all their documents through universityadmissions. See here to check if you are eligible for this.
From outside of Sweden, send your documentation to the following address:
University Admissions in Sweden
839 87 Östersund
From within Sweden you can send your documents to:
839 87 Östersund
If you are still unsure how to apply, please visit Lund University's pages to help you apply to your studies.
Lund University offers a limited number of scholarships:
Swedish Institute scholarships:
The Swedish Institute (SI) offers a limited number of scholarships every year, but competition is very tough. Only students from outside EU/EES countries can apply for the scholarships.
Email: master [at] sam.lu.se
Phone: +46-(0)46-222 48 83, +46-(0)46-222 31 30
Faculty of Social Sciences
Lund University, Box 117
221 00 Lund, Sweden
Sandgatan 3, Lund
Find us on Google Maps